The Australian Multiple Birth Association was formed in 1974. We are the only national support organisation for multiple-birth families and individuals in Australia.
AMBA's mission is to function as an effective network to support multiple birth families.
To be the leading resource in Australia for multiple birth families in terms of social support, literature and educational information.
To be a volunteer association established and maintained by multiple birth parents to support multiple birth families.
Providing support to others from shared personal experience. Providing a high standard of service and information to our members. Effective teamwork.
We Aim To
Be a not-for-profit, non-political and non-sectarian organisation. Provide social support to parents and carers of multiple birth children. Provide educational information to parents and carers of multiple birth children. Provide access to literature on issues specific to multiple births. Use our knowledge to highlight the many aspects of parenting multiples. Promote community awareness of the unique needs of multiple birth families. Improve the resources available to multiple birth families. Cooperate with national and international organisations having related interests.
Through a tiered membership structure, our volunteer organisation provides support, resources and education to multiple birth families.
Some of our key activities include:
- Actively working to improve the support networks and services available to Australian multiple birth individuals and their families
- Producing educational resources and informative publications for multiple-birth families and professionals; including the AMBA Magazine, website, e-Journal from the Board, and a variety of booklets, pamphlets, and fact sheets
- Sourcing educational resources and informative publications for multiple-birth families and professionals from external authors
- Promoting stronger relations between parents of multiples and professionals who are interested in multiple-birth issues, ensuring that professionals are aware of the unique needs and concerns of multiple birth families
- Networking with key international organisations such as the International Council of Multiple Birth Organizations (ICOMBO) of which AMBA is a founding member, the International Society for Twin Studies (ISTS), and other national organisations to promote multiple birth issues on an international level
- Advising local and national media on multiple birth issues to ensure that the interests and concerns of multiple-birth families are accurately conveyed
- Working with government agencies to enhance services, supports, and opportunities for multiple-birth individuals and their families
- Sharing information and research findings with multiple-birth families, professionals, and AMBA member clubs through publications, e-journals, the AMBA website, and via AMBA's Annual General Meeting and Convention