Welcome to AMBA's Special Needs information page for families with multiples.
If you find yourself visiting this site, chances are you are currently experiencing your own personal roller-coaster ride or know someone who is. Families with multiples are in an unusual position of often having one child leading the way and highlighting how different their sibling can be. Whilst it can be normal to develop at different paces, this can be quite confronting for some families when one child is significantly delayed or has physical disabilites.
Perhaps as time goes by, you have begun to notice some differences between your children. It is not uncommon for some conditions not to be evident at birth.
If one or more of your children has special needs, then you will have an extra workload which is not experienced by many in the community.
The aims of AMBA's Special Needs service are:
- To connect families in similar circumstances
- To offer support during challenging times
- To help families process the information given to them which may be contributing to confusion
- To provide empathic, friendly support
To help with these aims we have the following resources
- AMBA clubs offer local support for families and clubs special need contacts can assist new families.
- AMBA's Forum has a Special Needs board where you can access the following;
- One-on-one message support for those not ready to post openly
- Helpful Apps (android and Ipad)
- Special Needs Acryonyms
- Useful Contacts for Special Needs Families
- Multiple Birth Families Special Needs Support which offers a supportive online community for Australian parents of multiples who have one or more children with special needs on Facebook.