AUSTRALIAN MULTIPLE BIRTH ASSOCIATION
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE BIRTH FAMILIES
AMBA is now publishing position statements on different issues. The first one we have finalised is Class Placement.
The Australian Multiple Birth Association (AMBA) is a not-for-profit organisation enabling positive health outcomes, awareness and equality for multiple birth families.
- Parents of multiples in Australia do not feel well supported by the government.
- Australia ranks near last in the level of support provided, when compared to other OECD countries.
- There is currently no additional support provided for parents of twins and very limited support available to some parents of higher order multiples.
- Parents of multiples experience much higher rates of anxiety, depression and debilitating exhaustion, when compared to parents of singletons.
- Parents of multiples often face a number of additional challenges including premature birth, developmental delays and disability, isolation, poor access to early learning and financial hardship.
- Research has shown that the cost of raising two or more babies simultaneously is much higher than raising singletons consecutively.
- AMBA's position is that parents of multiples require additional financial and hands on support from the Australian government, to improve their health and wellbeing.
- AMBA supports the introduction of the recommendations outlined in the ‘Multiples Matter: Investigating the support needs of multiple birth families’ report published in March 2023.